4.02.2008

WEEK 7: Ten in One

Miles This Week: 10 (Sunday's long run: 10 miles)
Miles to Date: 77

...that is to say: Ten miles in one run - that is to say, I ran ten miles this week, and it was in one run, my Sunday long run with my group; it was the only run I took.

Oh, all kinds of things got in the way last week: I got my period, which makes me sweat and shake and puke and pretty much uses me up for at least several days. I had a heavier work week. I slept less. And I had various personal issues stressing me out, as well.

Given how exhausted and sick I was all week, I was surprised to even finish the run. Everything after mile 4 was hard, but I managed to keep pace until the end.

Ten miles is a funny milestone. If it's not already in your running repertoire, it sounds impossible. I have to say that these longer distances (which are increasing now for us by two miles each week) are really only conceivably achievable to me AFTER I do them. I just show up on Sunday on good faith that if everybody else can do it, I guess I can, too, and I don't think about it any more than that. And once we're running, then it's just about running, until we're done.

I can't stress enough the importance of having a trainer and, in essence, a running support group. It is of course largely about needing an educated, informed, trustworthy person to help me gauge the degree of challenge I need and to help remind me to do all the things I need to do to stay healthy and take proper care of myself as my weekly miles increase. But it's also just needing to be able to focus on the work itself, the psychological and emotional demand of it, without having to be solely in charge of negotiating the big logistical training picture. Yes, of course, people train on their own all the time. Still, when you're trying to take on something you've never done before - whether it is finishing your first marathon or improving your time - I think the emotional involvement can make it difficult to really know how much challenge is enough, and how much is too much. It's helpful to have the perspective and encouragement of someone who's NOT emotionally invested, who can stand back and say, Yes, ten miles will be challenging, but you're ready for it, and if you need help or support along the way, I can offer that.

MEANWHILE: I would like to report - I think, through all this, I've lost all of one pound. Yes, on long run days, I get very, very hungry. I do eat more, but it doesn't seem to me that I eat THAT much more. Kinda weird. Either I'll start losing weight at some point and will have to eat a LOT more, or not. I mean I would think so, but it hasn't happened yet. Strange.

ALSO: I am noticing new muscle definition - but only in my calves and shins! Makes perfect sense but I hadn't anticipated it. I was hoping for, you know, nice thighs and a muscular butt - but no, it's my shins. Hot shins. Does anyone know any cute gay female shin fetishists?

Today is Wednesday. I ran five miles on the treadmill (and I RAN the whole five miles, no walk breaks, that's a first), plan on three on Thursday, four on Friday (because alliteration's fun) and two on Saturday ... I would of course run six on Saturday but as the long run is Sunday, I don't think six before a long run at this point would be wise. Courting fatigue with that.

Sunday is twelve. No alliteration there at all, but I'm doing it anyway. From your cozy Sunday morning nest, wherever you are, toast me with a mimosa, and cheer me on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sung to the tune of Rod Stewart's "Hot Legs" (an awful song, which btw, we do NOT endorse lol)

"Gonna need a shot of vitamin e
Post some pics so that we can see
We're talking to you
Hot shins, you're an alley cat
Hot shins, you are 'all that'
Hot shins, bring your mother too
We love ya honey"

Go Birdpants, Go!!!

Nadsnee said...

Cousin Larrrr, otherwise known in some circles as, The Law! I am beyond impressed. I do 2 miles and want to croak just pushing to 3! I think I walked around the tradeshow yesterday about 10 miles and it almost killed me!

I predict your hamstrings will show next. I always get the frog legs when I work out and we look a little a like that way. What I call MaryLou-legs! And also that little muscle right above your knee will get bigger.

Watching The Law from Vegas this week-Naida

Nadsnee said...

Cousin Larrrr, otherwise known in some circles as, The Law! I am beyond impressed. I do 2 miles and want to croak just pushing to 3! I think I walked around the tradeshow yesterday about 10 miles and it almost killed me!

I predict your hamstrings will show next. I always get the frog legs when I work out and we look a little a like that way. What I call MaryLou-legs! And also that little muscle right above your knee will get bigger.

Watching The Law from Vegas this week-Naida